Aims and Objectives
The Undergraduate programme in the Department of Linguistics Studies has two major objectives:
- To provide a broad and general training in theoretical and applied Linguistics
- To help students achieve an awareness of language systems in general and of African languages in particular.
- The Department stresses a fundamental understanding of the ever-changing linguistic environment in which students live, so that they can apply their knowledge to various problems of human communication. To achieve these objectives, students are encouraged to take language-related courses in English, Sociology and History.
The Department offers programmes leading to the award of both the Single Honours Degree and the Combined Honours Degree. Courses are available for the award of the B.A. (Combined Honours) Degree in Linguistics/Edo Language and B.A. (Combined Honours) in Linguistics/Igbo language as well as B.ED/Linguistics/Edo and B.ED./ Linguistics/Igbo. It is hoped that programmes in other Nigerian languages will be introduced as soon as staff are available.
- Single Honours: Apart from meeting the University and Faculty admission requirement of 5 credits level passes, candidates intending to read for the Single Honours Degree in Linguistics should also have at least a pass in Mathematics: 5 additional credit-level passes are required.
- Combined Honours Linguistics and Edo Language:The requirements are the same as those of the Faculty in general, except that students who may wish to pursue degree courses in a Nigerian Language must have a good command of the Language. Those for the programme may or may not possess a pass in mathematics. Direct Entry admission requirements in the Linguistics/Edo Programme are as follows:
(i) As for U.M.E., and
(ii) `A’ Level passes in English Literature and at least one other Arts subject.
Subject or Diploma in Edo Language of the University of Lagos and at least 5 other credit passes at `O’ Level or T.C.II, merits, or N.C.E.
(Double Major with Edo) and at least 3 other credit passes at `O’ Level or T.C. II merits.
- Combined Honours Linguistics/Igbo Programme:
The requirements are the same as those of the Faculty in general, except that students must also have at least a credit-level pass in Igbo at either the NECO/WASC OR GCE O/L, or a Merit/Credit-level pass at TC II. A pass in Mathematics is not compulsory but an advantage.
Direct Entry candidates must include a pass in Igbo at A/L. Candidates with Igbo in N.C.E. Certificate or a Diploma in Igbo Language Studies are equally acceptable. UME subjects will include Igbo and two other relevant Arts Subjects. UME must include English Language. Literature in English and Igbo.